Military Education Benefits

Brighton College salutes America’s service members, veterans, and their families. We are grateful to you for serving our country.

Now we want to help you in achieving your educational goals.

Included on this page is information that will assist you in getting started toward earning your degree or diploma. We offer many degree and diploma programs that are approved programs of study for military spouses using the MyCAA program and veterans who are using VA education benefits. Brighton College recognizes that the majority of veterans return to school with previous educational credit from their military careers. Brighton College will evaluate your training to determine the credit you may earn for what you have learned.

Current Military Benefits Programs

Military Spouse Funding

If you are a military spouse looking to earn your associate degree or diploma, the MyCAA program can help you cover some or all of your tuition costs! We are very proud to share with you that Brighton College was one of the first colleges to participate in the Department of Defense’s Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) pilot program. You can be assured we have a long history of training military spouses.

Today, the MyCAA program provides up to $4,000 for military spouses who are interested in pursuing degrees, licenses, or professional credentials that lead to employment in high-growth, in-demand, and portable career fields. Our military spouse eligible online education programs offer you the flexibility required of a military lifestyle. You can find out more information including eligibility requirements on our MyCAA Fact Sheet. You can also call the office at 1-800-354-1254 or email us at Let us help you prepare for a successful career!



The Post 9-11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days on or after September 11, 2001. Veterans, active duty service members, and their spouses and dependents may be eligible for these benefits. Under Chapter 33, the benefits you receive are determined by a number of factors. Visit the GI Bill website for more information about the program or to determine your eligibility. Please contact us to better understand how your enrollment at Brighton College may impact your level of benefits. Active duty military personnel who are eligible for Chapter 33 benefits and have exhausted all tuition assistance (TA) in a given year may use their VA benefits to cover the cost of tuition and fees. You must notify the Certifying Official of your home campus for any classes you would like certified for VA education benefits.

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

Active Duty Educational Assistance Program is generally for individuals who entered active duty after June 30, 1985 and served continuously for three years or for individuals serving two years on active duty followed by four years of Selected Reserve. To be eligible, veterans must have contributed $1,200 during their first year of military service. Veterans or service personnel cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

VA Reimbursement

VA reimbursement varies depending on whether you attend classes full time or less than full time. Your pace is determined by the number of credits you are attempting in a period of time. Please call Brighton College’s VA Certifying Official at 1-800-354-1254 to learn how full-time and part-time statuses at Brighton College are determined.

Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

This program is for individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985, have served a continuous period of 181 days or more, and have contributed toward the education program.

How to Apply for Veterans Assistance (VA) Benefits

You can apply to the VA online through the VA Online Application System or download the forms and send them to the Department of VA via mail or fax. These forms are downloadable from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

To apply with the VA, you will need to complete and submit one of the following forms, along with any supporting documentation indicated during the application process:

  • 22-1990 – Application for Educational Benefits form
  • 22-1995 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form
  • 22-5490 – Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance form
  • 22-5495 – Request for Change of Program or Place of Training for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance form

It takes approximately 10–12 weeks to process applications. Please wait until 60 days have passed from the time you have submitted your application to inquire about your status. Students who have used their benefits at another school or institution must submit the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form before they can begin using their benefits at Brighton College. Once the Department of Veterans Affairs has determined your eligibility, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. You must submit a copy of the letter to the Director of Student Services at Brighton College to begin receiving benefits.